18. March 8, 2017, congratulations to Jia and Conor for being awarded with travel award for the Biology of Genomes Meeting!
17. January 9, 2017, Welcome to the lab: our new PhD student Conor (previously a PSM student in the lab) and rotation PhD student James!
16. October 7, 2016, congratulations to Mindy for being awarded with travel award to attend CRA-W Early Career Mentoring Workshops!
15. October 2, 2016, thanks to Benika and Jia, and Proceedings Co-Chair Yang Shen, we successfully produced ACB BCB proceedings for another year!
15. September 2016, welcome new students to our lab, Lauren, Angat, Nicholette, Alan!
13. April, 2016, Congratulations to Andrew and Mindy for winning the 2016 Essam El-Kwae Student-Faculty Research Award, and to Mindy for winning 2016 Outstanding Faculty Research Award from the College of Computing and Informatics!
12. October 1st, 2015, we have co-authored two Nature papers that closed the 1000 Genomes Project. See Nature Collection of the publications and the project. Congratulations to all collaborators! Congratulations to our own Andrew!
11. September 2015, we received a Research Opportunity Initiative fund from North Carolina Data Science and Analytics Initiative with our collaborators Daniel Janies and Blair D. Sullivan, working on integrating genomics and graph analysis for risk mitigation of infectious diseases.
10. September 2015, our genetic privacy project received funding from NSF (SCH for research and SaTC-EDU for education).
9. August 2015, our collaborative project with Paulo Arruda (State University of Campinas) and Jose Andres Yunes (Centro Infantil Boldrini) was awarded by the SPRINT program. Check out the press release from UNC Charlotte for more details.
7. Our poster titled "A Network Ensemble of microRNA and Gene Expression in Ovarian Cancer" got accepted to the Biology of Genomes Meeting 2015. Congratulations to Benika and Andrew!
6. March 21, 2015, we hosted Saturday Science for high school students, with visitors from Olympic High School, Charlotte, NC. Andrew, Dhalia, and Jia, thank you all for your contribution! The documents and slides are publicly available from ShiLab github.
5. March 2015, our project titled "Integrating Linguistic, Ethnographic, and Genetic Information of Human Populations: Databases and Tools" gets funded by DARPA SIMPLEX program! PI: Ward Wheeler (American Museum of Natural History); Co-PIs: Daniel Janies (UNCC), Peter Whiteley (AMNH), Xinghua Mindy Shi (UNCC).
4. March 1, 2015, welcome onboard, Dr. Jia Wen!
3. March 2015, Congratulations to Andrew for passing the qualification exams!
2. Our paper entitled "CNVnet: Combining Sparse Learning and Biological Networks to Capture Joint Effect of Copy Number Variants", coauthored with Zhiyong Wang and Jinbo Xu from Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago (TTIC), received the ACM SIGBio Best Student Paper Award at ACM-BCB 2014.
1. Our genetic privacy paper “Using Aggregate Human Genome Data for Individual Identification”, with Yue Wang and Xintao Wu from UNCC won the Best Paper Award at BIBM 2013.